Friday, August 1, 2008

It's like Christmas in July...

About a month before we got married Tony and I went to RC Willey to buy a mattress.  We had no other choice, we needed a coffin I mean a bed, so we were going to bite the bullet.  As the salesperson was typing in our information we got a phone call from Tony's aunt Mindy.  She told us her friends were getting rid of their king size mattress and were wondering if we wanted it...ummm yeah.  We told the salesperson to scratch that and took off to pick up our free little beauty.  I use those words loosely because in reality that mattress had seen better days but beggars can't be choosers.  We truly did appreciate it and the fact we wouldn't be going into debt before we even tied the knot.  

It has served us well over the last six years but lately it has gotten to the point where I could barely snuggle up to Tony over the huge ridge in the center so we both got lost in our own little body impressions.  After many a restless night and many many months of saying we were just going to buy a new mattress, we finally did it.  We took some of Uncle Sam's tax return and headed to a little furniture warehouse in Layton that we had been referred to by two different people.  We tested every mattress there and finally decided on the perfect one.  The guy told us it would be there in three weeks and we were delighted when he called two days later to say it was already in.  He delivered it July 21st and this mattress really is a beauty.

It took us a few nights to get use to the firmness because we were use to our "little pile of straw" as Tony refers to it.  Now we are both sleeping like babies, or should I say like one year olds, because we all know babies don't sleep through the night...I think they should change that saying.

Here's the redneckish part.  We put our old mattress out in the front yard with a "free" sign on it and someone took it.  I just couldn't see taking it to the dump if some poor person could get some use out of it.  Pay it forward I always say.

So here's to finally getting a good nights rest.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

a good bed makes all the difference! enjoy it!

Kim Smith said...

Finally. I have heard about that new matress you were going to get forever. It looks wonderful as your other one really did look like bumpy straw. Here's to sleep - the most wonderful state of being.
Jessie - good to finally put a name and face together meeting you yesterday at Cherry Hill. It was a fun way to spend a VERY SPECIAL day. Happy Birthday Love!!

Lee Lee said...

Testing testing 1 2 3

Anonymous said...

KC and I still sleep on a full... ha ha. Its a tight squeeze!

Megan said...

I was SO uncomfortable while being pregnant we bit the bullet and bought a tempurpedic (in king size I might add, we were sleeping on a queen before). I was desperate for a good night's sleep. It took me two years to pay it off, but I can honestly say I don't regret one dime. That thing is an absolute dream to sleep on. I love it.