Monday, December 8, 2008

Thanksgiving Day 2008...


Better late than never...right?!?

There are a plethora of reasons why I haven't blogged in a while but at the top of the list is probably no time/energy.  So without further ado...

Our Thanksgiving was good.  I had been sick with the flu for three days prior.  Then the night before Indie decided to forget how to sleep through the night.  She insisted on being rocked to sleep and then every time we went to lay her down she would wake up, so for the first time in a very long time she slept in our bed.  I think she was a little sick too and she had been having a rough couple of days.  Needless to say our night was horrendous.  At 5 a.m. we finally got her to sleep in her own bed.  We decided to skip the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Day 5K and instead we just woke up at our leisure.  We went to Annelee's for a delicious breakfast of scones and hung around there for a bit.  We got home in time to all take a nap before we went to dinner at my parents.  Dinner was amazing as usual but I was still too sick to eat enough to feel proud of.

Grandma and Grandpa Rigby, Aunt Joan, Leash, Kev and the kids, Lyd, Mom and Dad, and me, Tony and Ind were all there.

Every Thanksgiving at Mom and Dad's we go around the table and say what we are grateful for.  I feel so blessed for so many things...
Tony
Indie and the progress she makes every single day
Family
Friends
  A beautiful home
Our jobs
Our health
A degree and no debt.  Thankfully my parents paid for half of my tuition and I was able to work while I went to school to pay the other half.  This is something I have been truly grateful for lately.  Thank you Mom and Dad.



On a lighter note...
Here is the 7-Up Salad that I was assigned to make.  This is my grandma's recipe and a hit around our house.  I have tried making it twice and both times something was not quite right but this time I nailed it.  You are probably thinking, "what could be so hard about making a jello salad?"  Well who knew jello could be so finicky.  Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a whirl.  The secret...let the jello dissolve completely.  Yes, I'm 27 and I don't know how to make jello.

Grandma Arlene's 7-Up Salad

2 packages lemon jello
1 cup boiling water
3 cups 7-Up

Dissolve jello in boiling water and add 7-Up, then add

1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
2 bananas sliced
2 cups marshmallows

Let the jello set up

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg (slightly beaten)

Cook ingredients together and let cool, then add

1 cup whipped cream

Spread over the jello salad and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil and refrigerate.  Make the night before.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I thought the "lighter note" was that it looks like you are wearing a twig wreath on your head in that picture. I keep laughing as I look at it. :)

That salad looks delish, and I hope Indie is sleeping better now.

Chris & Missy said...

Yum. That looks like a way good recipe!!

Sarah said...

We really like the hair piece that you are wearing. Glad to hear that you have had a good holiday season so far wish the rest are merry.