Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 years ago...

I had just moved into the Provo house with Geof. and Elly.  I was going to school a few days a week and looking for a job, so basically we were playing as hard as we could.  Leash and Kev were planning their wedding for the 14th.

It was about 9 a.m. and we were still sleeping when Aunt LeAnne called to tell us the news.  She was really upset.  We didn't have a t.v. so we spent the day riding our bikes around to different houses to watch the news.  

It was surreal.

The footage we saw on the news was unbelievable.  I think the most disturbing part for me was seeing people jump out of the buildings.  It was all so horrifying.  For days, even weeks, it consumed us, all of us.  We watched the news, read the paper and searched the internet for any updates.  I still have several newspaper clippings with images on them that are seared into my memory.  Elly and I hung a flag in our front window and didn't take it down until we moved out, by then it was sun-bleached.  

The temples closed for a few days and we thought we would have to reschedule the wedding but they reopened on the day they were to be married.

September 11th affected everyone in different ways and it was amazing to see how everyone pulled together.  I am so sorry for those who died or lost someone during that horrible attack.  I am also sorry for those who lost their lives in protecting our country since then.  I am grateful for their sacrifice and for this beautiful country we have to live in.

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Good job, you make a MaMa proud!! I was just telling Alicia yesterday that 911 never had the effect on me at the time as everyone else because of the wedding, but it was a terrible thing. Love you MOM

Kim Smith said...

You make me proud too! You have a tender and compasionate heart. I was floating in the Mediterranean Sea. I was shocked and overwhelmed like the rest of the country and world..but my greatest concern was that I wasn't with my family. That feeling of distance and not being able to communicate was one of the most terrible things I have ever experienced. In that instant - all which was most important to us all -came into stark focus. It is easy to loose that "shock" as our lives settle back into "normal." But we need to reflect on the horror and re committ to living our lives with more focus of purpose. Thanks for the reminder. Love...