Thursday, September 24, 2009

So long old friends...

On January 5th, I received the type of phone call from Tony that I never wanted to receive. While driving his car, the Malibu, he had been in an accident, on the freeway no less. It had just started snowing and he had slipped in the snow. He fish-tailed across all 3 lanes of traffic and luckily didn't hit any other cars but crashed into a barrier.
From the outside it didn't look too bad.
But he hit hard enough for the air bags to deploy.
Our insurance company ended up totaling out our car so after much searching my brother-in-law Kevin found us this beauty. We love our little Saabie.
As if this story couldn't get worse, about 2 months later, on March 12th I got another similar phone call. After a very long day of work and evening of being on call, Tony had fallen asleep on the freeway while driving my car, the Accord. He bumped the middle barrier, was startled awake and swerved across all 4 lanes of traffic. He ended up facing the wrong way in the slow lane. Freaky to say the least. Again no other cars were involved which was such a blessing. I have these horrible images of a semi careening into him but thankfully he was fine. You can see his screech marks in the picture below.
This is my baby, my very first car, that I bought with my very own money. Sure she looks okay but if you will notice, one tire is facing straight and the other is pointing in.
The alignment issue coupled with the scratches down the side were enough for our insurance company to once again total out the car.
Another view of the scratches.
To be honest I cried as I cleaned out my car and drove away from her...is that weird?!?
So we took our insurance money and upgraded to a newer Accord, again thanks to Little Kev.
So in two months time we went from two paid off cars to two newer cars but luckily only one car payment. Not too bad I guess and at least I still have a husband.

4 comments:

Jacki said...

Thank goodness!!!

bevany said...

Seriously so scary. Yay that you still have Tony. I would have cried cleaning out the car too...Love the new accord though!

Cortney said...

Wow, I've never fully heard those stories. Glad everything is great and yay to new cars:)

Darla said...

Tony!! You better get some sleep! You're freaking me out...! Those cars are sure pretty, though...lucky. (; How much is your insurance payment now, though??