Thursday, October 23, 2008

Indie update...

We went in for little Indie's 18 (okay 19, I am a little behind) month well check yesterday and she is just that...little.

She weighs in at 21.6 pounds and is 31 inches long, which puts her in the 10th percentile.
And her little head is still in the negative percentile.

Did you ever think that Tony and I would ever have a kid that was anything but "off the charts?!?"

The doctor is not concerned, in fact, he says she is progressing well and right on target, she is just little.

So here are a few tid bits about Indie at 19 months old.

*She has five teeth, two on the bottom, three on top.  She will literally take your finger off if you aren't careful.

*Indie likes graham crackers, bananas, cheese and rice, those are her favorites.  She likes most of the Gerber treats like puffs, dried fruit and yogurt bites.  For the most part she still drinks a lot of whole milk but at least we are done with expensive formula.

*She says da-da and na-na.  We are still working on ma-ma.  

*She will patty cake, peek-a-boo, snap, wave and blow kisses.  Just yesterday she started mooing when I asked her what the cow says but it is too soon to really perform that trick for anyone.  Tony doesn't even believe she does it because she won't do it for him.

*She can stand up to stuff for extended periods of time.  She will lean against this toy and play with her toys for like 30 minutes.
This is a picture from a few months ago when she first started standing up while holding on to  something.

*As of August she started riding in a big girl car seat.  She looks so grown up in it.  I need to get a picture of her in it.  

Right before we switched her over Maddie saw her in the old seat and said, "she is too damn big for that seat."  I guess if a three year old notices it then it really is time for a new seat, and yes, she did get busted for swearing (even though it was really funny).

Here are some pictures of Ind in her old seat.  I loved how she would hold on to the handle.  She would do it while we were driving as if she were holding on for dear life.


*When Indie was a few months old we had to bundle her for her to sleep and we would have to wrap her binki in too.  Dangerous, I know, but she has never been a great sucker and couldn't keep her binki in otherwise.  Finally mom said she had a feeling that we needed to stop wrapping her binki in.  Luckily Indie didn't mind being without it.
So for the longest time we could wrap her up like this and she loved it.  It was getting to the point that only Tony could wrap her tight enough so we decided the wrap needed to change too.
We thought we had weeks of horrible nights ahead of us, but again luckily, she didn't mind not being wrapped.  We did however revert back to using a binki.  Now we just lay her in the cribby with her ducky and her bink (which she holds in with her hand, see, not a good sucker) and off to dreamland without a peep.  Now that is a dream for me too.

*Ind loves her walker.  We gave it to her last Christmas but it wasn't until late spring that she started to get the hang of it.  She can maneuver around the house like a champ.  When the weather was nice we put her in the driveway and she just cruised.

I am so proud of our little boozie and the progress she makes every single day.  I was reading this post the other day and I felt that in a way it related to Indie:
 
"There’s no way of knowing what the future will be, and that, basically, I was asking the wrong question. She spoke of other burn victims, how well they’re doing now, what they’re doing now, the successes and happiness they’ve expressed to her. She told me that everything is different now and that things will never be the same. Ever. If we, as her family and friends, are constantly comparing her to the way she used to be, then we’ll never be satisfied. It will never be enough. If, however, we compare her to how far she’s come, each step of the way, and see the miracle that her body is in surviving and changing, then each success will be a leap, not an inch, forward from a devastating moment. If we say, Look how much better she’s doing since September!, we’ll be encouraged. Or, at Christmas, if we say, Look how amazing she is since Halloween! , we’ll find joy in her success, not frustration."

I don't compare Ind to other babies.  I just see the leaps and bounds she has made since birth, since last month or even since last week.  She has reached milestones in her life that we were told never to expect.  That, in and of itself, is a miracle.  

And who knows maybe by Christmas she will be walking and we will be able to look how amazing she is since Halloween.

10 comments:

Jessie said...

She's adorable, amazing and the cutest little miracle I've ever seen! I also think she just may be the best dressed 19 month old baby girl I know too!

Alissa said...

I am amazed by her. She really is off the charts. She just keeps progressing...it is wonderful. Stop by next time you're around. It's been too long since I've seen her!

Loni and Tyler said...

Your little Indie is so darling! Tyler and I talk about her often and how cute she is! You too are lucky and are very wonderful parents!

J said...

I know it's only been a couple of weeks since I've seen her, but she looks so big standing up in the first picture.

Cortney said...

I loved that post. Indie really is making great progress and she'll amaze us even more.

sarita said...

I loved this post, Jess. I could take your advice to not compare MYSELF to others, only to myself. Thanks for reminding me of this.

Indie really is an angel and you and Tony are the perfect parents for her.

Chelsea said...

Quite possibly the best post ever. Seriously Jess, there are tears in my eyes right now. Indie is so cute and you both are amazing. Tell Alicia she better watch her mouth or Cash's first word might be damn.

Jacki said...

Once again you make a MaMa proud. You
are a very blessed family, her for having you both and you for getting to have her! I guess the big guy knows what he is doing. I love you! MoM

Chris & Missy said...

Hey Jess, it's Missy (Morgan). Your little girl is so dang cute. I'm glad that I found you off Lindsay's blog. Please keep in touch. I would love to get together with all of you girls sometime, just like old times.

Ash said...

Such a cutie! You are great parents and I love to see your creative comments on the blog! We need to do lunch soon!