Thursday, October 2, 2008

The maiden voyage...

I finally got a bike.  I have been saving up bonus money for the last few years all the while looking for the perfect bike.  We found one last year with all the bells and whistles but I had a hard time dropping 650 bones on a bike.  Luckily we hit a sale at Pedersens and found this bird fully loaded for half that price.  I was sold.

Kim gave me a trailer for my birthday so last week I put it together and we headed out on our first ride.  

I set the camera up to take a picture of us and ended up missing Indie's face and cutting my head off.  I threw the camera in the bottom of the trailer so we could take some pictures along the way.  I also put my water bottle in the bottom because I don't have a drink holder yet.  I thought about how that could prove to be dangerous but I ignored the thought and off we went.

After a few miles I decided to pull over and get a drink.  As I opened the trailer I could see Indie's feet soaking in a puddle of water along with, that's right, the camera.  I took it out of the sopping wet case and water began to drip from the battery area.  I dried it off the best I could and then held it in one hand while I biked home hoping it would air out.  

I called Tony in tears.  You see this isn't the first time we have had camera issues.  Tony dropped our last camera a few months after we bought it and we had to buy a brand new one.  Now only months later I thought I had ruined another one.  I was sick.  Tony was so sweet and just laughed when I told him.

Luckily after a weekend of drying out (and a prayer or two) it works.  I was so relieved.



Annelee gave us helmets for my birthday...
But Ind is refusing to wear hers...
The jury is still out as to whether she is digging this...

But I am loving it.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

How fun! I'm so glad your camera was saved!

Happy riding!

Cortney said...

That looks like fun! I too am glad the camera still works. Maybe you should invest in a water bottle holder so that won't happen again. Hope all is well!

Kim Smith said...

Finally!! The long awaited and anticipated bike. So excited for you both. It looks as though Indie is going to need a little encouragement...maybe it was the soaking feet? So relieved about the camera since it seems to be an ongoing problem at your house. Whatever would we do if you were without your camera since you are the official "picture taker and memory saver." Happy riding. I agree with Courtney - a water bottle holder will be a much easier investment than another new camera. :-)