Saturday, April 19, 2008

To operate or not to operate...

Friday April 18th
8:00 a.m.
8:45 a.m.
Indie gets an exam by a nurse to see if she is well enough for surgery.
She gets to wear the cutest little pajama/surgery outfit.


9:15 a.m.
We meet with the doctor.
I am in tears.
He tells me to rest assured because he has performed 4 or 5 thousand of these surgeries.
He also says her anesthesiologist is who he chose for his own sons surgery.
He puts a little dot over her right eye to ensure he operates on the correct eye.
9:45 a.m.
Tearful goodbye from mom and dad.
The doctor carries her back to surgery through one door while we go out another.

9:50 a.m.
We go down to the cafe for some breakfast.

10:30 a.m.
The parents of Indie Marie Smith are paged overhead to call the operator.
I am in a panic.
We are told to go to the waiting room.

10:35 a.m.
The doctor meets us in the waiting room.
The first thing he says is everything is okay.
He tells us that after sedating her he was able to take some pictures of her eyes and in her right eye, he found that her fovea centralis didn't develop.  The fovea centralis is a spot on the eye that is vital to detailed vision.  She has vision in that eye, it just isn't sharp, so she can see things as shapes and objects but they are blurry.  He tells us that he would like to hold off on the surgery because it won't benefit her vision now, and eventually we could do surgery if her eye needs to be straightened for aesthetic purposes.
He apologizes for the fact that she had to be sedated but there was no way he could have diagnosed this otherwise.
He also apologized for making her wear the patch when it wasn't doing anything (poor little lamb had blurry vision for 2 hours a day for the last 2 months).
He gives us a prescription for glasses because he would like her to wear them as a protection to her good eye.
(We think she will look adorable in something like this). 

11:30 a.m.
I get to go in to see her.
I cry again when I see her laying in a little hospital bed all wrapped up in the warm blankies.
She is just waking up and is still a little groggy.
The anesthesia makes her a little ornery.
She drinks 8 ounces of milk like it's her job (she had been fasting since midnight).
Noon
They take us to post op.
Daddy gets to come in.
12:15 p.m.
They take out her i.v.
12:30 p.m.
We finally get to go home.
It was a long day and I am definitely glad it is over.  I was emotional all day mostly because you just never know when it comes to anesthetics.  I am sad that she has poor vision in her right eye but at the same time I feel blessed that she has great vision in her left eye.  The night before surgery Tony gave her a beautiful blessing that mentioned being able to see all of the beauty that Heavenly Father has created and I know that she will be able to do just that.

4 comments:

Cortney said...

Thanks for the detailed update. I sorta got teary eyed just reading it. I'm glad she is good-we're sorta like twins and hey-I'm doing fine with one eye and a little of the other!

Kim Smith said...

Oh, I am so glad it is over. I know this has to be the hardest thing for Mommie and Daddy. You were troopers! So proud of you all. Thank heaven for wonderful doctors, that Indie has sight and that Daddy that can call on the powers of heaven for all your sakes.
Loved the "black dot eye marked" photo.I think we all felt the same way. Poor little soul looked exhausted when it was all over. Glad you were able to have a quiet weekend together afterwards. Whewww...relief! love to all...

Joan said...

I'm like Cortney.I teared up while reading that.There is nothing worse than knowing your child is going under.I use to cry when Cortney would go to her eye exams.I would have Brad's mom go with me.Not fun!She's adorable!

Jacki said...

Oh yes I cried! Great post! Love MOM