Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ahoy Mateys...

Indie's latest adventure...

The Patch

Indie has to wear a patch for two hours a day over her left eye.
The pirate patch is just for fun, her actual patches come in 4 fashionable colors...



Indie has amblyopia and exotropia which basically means her right eye is weaker then her left and it has the tendency to turn in.  Wearing the patch has strengthened her eye but has not improved the tendency to turn so on April 18th our little baby will undergo eye muscle surgery which will help her eyes to be straight and work together.

She has been a trooper about wearing the patch.  After the first day, it hasn't bothered her at all.  We are working with an amazing doctor up at Primary and he said Indie is "a unique case" and that normally he won't operate on babies with trisomy 13 because unfortunately they don't live long enough to worry about their vision.  Sad, very sad, but at the same time I am glad to hear he is willing to do surgery on Ind because it reaffirms the fact she is doing so well.  You can't really tell that her eye turns in, but the doctor had her focus on a toy with both eyes and then he quickly covered her good eye and her bad eye turned in for a moment until she was able to focus on the toy.  It was very interesting.

When Chlo and Mad first saw her wearing it I explained that she had to wear it on her "good eye" so that her "bad eye" could get stronger.  So now any time she is wearing it they tell me all about her good and bad eyes.  They always want to help take it off when she is finished wearing it and try it on for themselves.  It is so cute. 

So despite the nervousness of her going "under the knife" I think this will be very beneficial in the long run.

10 comments:

sarita said...

I love the picture of her in the pink patch! She is such a happy baby! Keep us posted on how everything goes with the surgery (I know you will!).

Britnie said...

The patches are very cute. I am glad that she wears it so well for you. I am glad they are able to do the surgery for Indie. Let us know if we can do anything.

Kim Smith said...

You are as reliable as the sunrise my dear. Love these updates. We all wait for the days adventure! The eye patch model is stunningly beautiful and amazingly good and happy! All is going to go very well I know!! Grammie

Ellynn said...

jessie that is awesome that they have agreed to operate. that is great news. the pirate patch is my favorite!

J said...

I'm so glad she handles the patch so well. She looks great in it, what's cooler than a pirate?

Cortney said...

I totally understand what Indie is going through. If you remember correctly I have ambloyopia also. I had to have 2 surgeries. I just wish I had cute patches to wear, mine looked like a band aid and then I would put stickers on them, mostly of Winnie the Pooh, my fav. I should post some pictures of rememberance. That would be fun. I was always confused as to why it was going on my good eye and not bad. Now I understand. Hope all goes well, she's adorable.

Alissa said...

She is so cute, I can't get over it. And she looks rash free!

Sarah said...

I just want to tell you that all the openness about your little Indie has made my pregnancy so much easier. We found out about two months ago that the little guy in my tummy has a cleft lip. So I understand the scare you get when you think of little baby having surgery. Good luck and we will keep her in our prayers.

Katy said...

She looks adorable with those patches!!!

The Snell Family said...

We love the eye docs at PCMC, they have done so much for Arianna, she can see our faces now. If you need any company while you are there please let me know, I would love to meet you and share our Trisomy life with you. We are only 20 mins away from the hospital. Our prayers will be with Indie.
Julianna